Here are seven updates on independent ASCs and physicians reported by Becker's since Jan. 1:
1. The Chattanooga (Tenn.) Chamber of Commerce hosted a ribbon-cutting for a medical office building that includes an independent spine and orthopedic ASC.
2. Lubbock, Texas-based Covenant High Plains Surgery Center, an independent, multispecialty center, was named West Texas' best ASC at an annual event sponsored by NBC affiliate KCBD 11.
3. Charlotte, N.C.-based independent practice Providence Anesthesiology Associates completed 1,135 same-day total joint replacements at freestanding ASCs in 2021.
4. Franciscan Health and independent physician group Forté Sports Medicine and Orthopedics opened a facility housing an ASC in Carmel, Ind.
5. Portland, Maine.-based independent practice Fore River Urology cut its contract with Anthem.
6. Bradenton, Fla.-based independent physician group Coastal Orthopedics opened two facilities in May.
6. ASC leaders spoke with Becker's ASC Review on key topics in May, including the outlook for independent ASCs.