Preparation is essential to smooth contract negotiations for ASCs, according to Suzann Crowder, CEO at Health Care Billing of St. Charles.
Ms. Crowder shared six negotiation strategies on LinkedIn:
1. Gather data on case costs, mix and volume, as well as patient satisfaction rates and quality measures, from the past 12 months.
2. Understand what sets your ASC apart from others, such as convenience, renowned surgeons on staff or lower costs per case than competitors.
3. Determine the ASC's goals in terms of implant payments, carve outs, discount rates and annual rate increases.
4. Understand the payer's concerns, including patient access to outpatient facilities, availability of specialty services and predictable costs.
5. Communicate to stakeholders as the negotiation progresses.
6. Promote the new or revised relationship once an agreement is reached.
More articles on coding, billing and collections:
CMS payment rules may signal cardiology shift to ASCs in 5-10 years
California workers' comp fee schedule updates to take effect in days — 4 changes
Semmes Murphey Clinic CEO John Lewis on ASC reimbursement trends