Healthcare organizations that have efficient, transparent supply chain systems will flourish in 2019 — while those that don't will flounder, according to H-Source CEO John Kupice.
H-Source is an online marketplace for hospital groups to buy and sell medical supplies.
Here's what Mr. Kupice predicts the healthcare supply chain will see in 2019:
1. U.S. hospitals experiencing record bankruptcies
2. Development of new direct-to-manufacturer purchasing group structures
3. Group purchasing organizations partnering to build supply chain departments that become profit centers rather than just cost centers
4. Healthcare margins continuing to deteriorate
5. Success for hospitals with the best cost management strategies
6. Increasing necessity of collaborative tools designed to give visibility into supply chain costs
7. Blockchain making an entrance in supply chain operations
8. Emergence of new purchasing models direct from original equipment manufacturers/product manufacturers
9. Data visualization and analytics optimizing purchasing decisions and rules in healthcare