DuPage Medical Group's ASC in Lombard, Ill., logged its first total joint replacement surgery May 22, according to Maria McGowan, senior vice president of marketing for the group.
Five things to know:
1. The Downers Grove, Ill.-based medical group originally planned to introduce outpatient total joint replacements this fall, but moved up the start date due to the pandemic. The center completed a mixture of 10 total hips and knees of June 26, with more on the schedule.
2. The pressure COVID-19 placed on hospitals "brought the growing need for this service to the forefront," Ms. McGowan said in an email to Becker's.
3. Previously, DuPage's orthopedic surgeons performed all total joints at affiliated local hospitals. The Surgical Center of DuPage Medical Group offers lower infection risk, faster recovery time and reduced surgical costs, DuPage said.
4. In addition to orthopedic services, the ASC offers plastic and reconstructive surgery, ophthalmology, otolaryngology, urology, vascular surgery and general surgery.
5. DuPage Medical Group is one of Illinois' largest independent multispecialty physician groups, with more than 700 physician members.
"Performing our first total joint replacement surgery in an outpatient setting was a monumental moment for everybody involved," said Marc Asselmeier, MD, an orthopedic surgeon with DuPage Medical Group. "COVID-19 has caused many people increased stress and worry, particularly related to their medical care. Being able to offer patients an outpatient surgery option is a win. My team and I are proud to provide patients exceptional medical care with an added layer of comfort and peace of mind."