ASCs across the country are beginning to incorporate outpatient total joint replacements into existing and new ASC projects.
Here are 13-plus physician groups and ASCs that have added outpatient total joint replacement procedures in the past year or announced plans to open a new ASC that will include total joints.
1. On Feb. 11, physicians at Northwell Health's Manhasset, N.Y.-based Schwartz Ambulatory Center performed its first total hip replacement procedure. The ASC began offering total shoulder replacements last year, and Northwell plans to add total knee, hip and shoulder surgeries at other ASCs across its network.
2. In January, Missoula (Mont.) Bone & Joint updated plans for its new surgery center, scheduled to open this coming fall, to include expanded total joint and spine procedures.
3. Last November, Jared Roberts, MD, performed the fist total hip replacement at Albany, N.Y.-based Capital Region Ambulatory Surgery Center.
4. Michael Kang, MD, performed the first outpatient total knee replacement at East Hills (N.Y.) Surgery Center in July 2018.
5. In June 2018, M. Shane Smith, MD, performed the first total joint replacement at Loganville, Ga.-based Athens Orthopedic Clinic's ASC.
6. Springfield (Ill.) Clinic's Ambulatory Surgery and Endoscopy Center expanded its services last year to include outpatient joint replacements.
7. Eric Neff, MD, performed the first total joint replacement at Surgery Center of Chesapeake (Va.).
8. Cumberland Valley Surgery Center in Hagerstown, Md., completed its first total joint replacement last April.
9. Canton, Ohio-based Omni Orthopaedics aims to open a new ASC in Jackson Township, Ohio, later this year that will include total joint replacement alongside sports medicine and general orthopedics.
10. In March 2018, Robert DeMaagd, MD, and Thomas Matelic, MD, of Orthopaedic Associates of Michigan in Grand Rapids performed the first outpatient total joint replacement at Metro Health OAM Surgery Center in Grand Rapids.
11. Orthopedic surgeon Jason Brashear, MD, performed the first outpatient total hip replacement at Mountain Empire Surgery Center in Johnson City, Tenn., last March.
12. Twin Cities Pain Clinic in Edina, Minn., plans to offer total joint replacements at its Burnsville (Minn.) Surgery Center location, which the group expects to open in September.
13. Newport News, Va.-based Orthopaedic & Spine Center broke ground on a new medical office building with an ASC that is slated to include total joint replacement services.
14. Atlantic Coast Surgical Suites in Seabrook, N.H., began performing same-day total joint replacements in May 2018 and have performed 75 successful procedures to date. The center includes total hip, knee and shoulder replacement.