Interventional cardiology is expected to have a deficit of 7,080 physicians by 2025, according to a report by physician search and consulting firm Merritt Hawkins.
Note: Figures are based on 2,458 permanent physician and advanced practitioner search assignments that were ongoing or conducted by Merritt Hawkins/AMN Healthcare's physician staffing companies from April 2020 to March 2021.
Five stats to know:
1. Interventional cardiologists are offered the highest average starting salaries of physicians: $611,000.
2. On average, interventional cardiology generates $3,484,375 in net annual hospital revenue.
3. Interventional cardiologists from 2020-21 ranged from $400,000 to $1 million, with an average of $611,000. Noninvasive cardiologists ranged from $350,000 to $700,000, with an average of $446,000.
4. Cardiology is expected to have a deficit of 7,080 physicians by 2025. Cardiothoracic surgery is expected to have a deficit of 1,800.
5. Noninvasive cardiologists saw one of the largest year-over-year salary increases — increasing nine percent from 2019-20 to 2020-21.