Pain Center of Cutler Bay (Fla.) Owner and Operator Armando Falcon, MD, was arrested on charges of illegally distributing large quantities of prescription painkillers.
Here's what you should know:
1. Drug Enforcement Administration agents arrested Dr. Falcon July 24 after conducting 16 undercover visits to his clinic, a news release from Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi said.
2. The pain physician allegedly saw 20 to 25 patients a day, met with them for less than two minutes each and wrote prescriptions for about 150 oxycodone pills at 30mg each.
3. Two of Dr. Falcon's medical assistants, Claudia Centeno and Reveka Karagianni, were also arrested in connection to illegal prescription drug sales. The assistants printed out prescriptions before Dr. Falcon arrived at work to speed up the process, authorities said.
4. Authorities believe Dr. Falcon raked in more than $1 million in cash payments each year from the operation. He allegedly used the funds to buy beach apartments, boats, expensive cars and houses.
5. Dr. Falcon and the two assistants face charges of racketeering, conspiracy to commit racketeering, trafficking oxycodone, money laundering, continuing a criminal enterprise and structuring transactions.
6. Dr. Falcon has practiced in Florida for 16 years, NBC6 reports.