Kelly A. O'Brien, chief operating officer of Richmond, Va.-based Medarva Stony Point Surgery Center, spoke with Richmond Times-Dispatch about her healthcare career and what inspires her.
Here are five key points on Ms. O'Brien:
1. Prior to joining Medarva, Ms. O'Brien was the COO of Virginia-based Advanced Orthopaedics, which merged with OrthoVirginia, the state's largest orthopedic group, in July 2016.
2. She notes her best career move was working at Poughkeepsie-based Central New York Eye Center as this position propelled her healthcare career forward.
3. In her role, she aspires to bring passion. She told Times-Dispatch, "[I aim to] demonstrate and share my breadth of experiences and expertise to add value to our organization's mission and values."
4. Healthcare comes with many challenges, with Ms. O'Brien noting the most difficult situation she encountered was when she lost a patient unexpectedly at a past place of work. She said the center brought in grief counselors for the staff and physicians.
5. Ms. O'Brien says her children keep her motivated.