Geneva, Ala.-based Wiregrass Medical Center is the least expensive hospital to receive a colonoscopy, according to information from data analytics company Hospital Pricing Specialists.
Hospital Pricing Specialists created an annual pricing survey that analyzed more than 5,000 U.S. hospitals by examining hospital machine-readable files and public claims. The goal of the survey was to analyze the effects of the price transparency law on CMS-defined shoppable codes, according to a May 25 email to Becker's from the company.
Here is the pricing data for CMS shoppable code, CPT 45380-Colonoscopy, at the 10 least expensive hospitals to have the procedure done:
1. $250 — Wiregrass Medical Center (Geneva, Ala.)
2. $263 — Emory Hillandale Hospital [Lithonia, Ga.)
3. $319 — Saint Cloud (Minn.) Hospital
4. $331 — Mid Coast Hospital (Brunswick, Maine)
5. $399 — East Liverpool (Ohio) City Hospital
6. $447 — Bellevue (Neb.) Medical Center
7. $447 — The Nebraska Medical Center (Omaha)
8. $467 — Brandywine Hospital (Coatesville, Pa.)
9. $500 — Jackson County Hospital District (Edna, Texas)
10. $521 — Lexington Medical Center (West Columbia, S.C.)