The American College of Gastroenterology, American Gastroenterological Association, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases and the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy provided guidance around how endoscopists should utilize personal protective equipment during the COVID-19 pandemic.
What you should do:
1. Use physical distancing and wash your hands diligently.
2. Postpone elective procedures until PPE stocks have been replenished and hospital beds are available.
3. Wear full sets of PPE.
4. Practice donning and doffing PPE.
5. Wear N95 respirators for all GI procedures performed on patients with COVID-19. Only high-risk patients should undergo endoscopy procedures at this time.
6. Have your N95 mask properly fitted by an occupational health specialist.
7. Staff the minimum number of team members possible to conserve PPE.
8. Reuse N95 masks when appropriate to combat shortages.
Read the entire statement, which includes guidance on the effective use of protective measures and general COVID-19 information, here.