In a randomized trial published in the journal Gastroenterology, creator of the GI Genius intelligent endoscopy module, three Italian research centers found that computer-aided polyp detection increases adenoma detection rates over high-definition colonoscopy alone.
Here are six things to know about how intelligent endoscopy modules stack up against HD colonoscopies, according to the study:
1. Computer-aided detection has a 14% absolute increase in adenoma detection rates
2. Computer-aided detection has a 30% increase in relative adenoma detection
3. Computer-aided detection has a 46% relative increase in adenomas per colonoscopy
4. Computer-aided devices have a 50% better chance of detecting multiple polyps
5. Computer-aided devices are 53% more likely to detect polyps in the distal colon
6. Computer-aided devices are 28% more likely to detect polyps in the proximal colon