Monique Barbour, MD, the owner of Clear Vue Eye Center in Lake Worth, Fla., will pay a settlement to resolve False Claims allegations, according to a South Florida Business Journal report.
Here are five things to know:
1. A former employee of the eye center brought the whistleblower complaint against the center, alleging excessive billing. The amended complaint alleges excessive billing for medically unnecessary procedures, patient visits and procedures performed while Dr. Barbour was abroad.
2. The complaint reports Dr. Barbour didn’t keep real-time exam notes, which may have lead to some of the inaccurate billing. It also alleges Dr. Barbour was involved in kickbacks for referrals as well.
3. Dr. Barbour agreed to settle the allegations for $1 million; the whistleblower received $200,000.
4. Dr. Barbour also owns businesses outside of healthcare, including Reign Entertainment, Property Acquisition and Management and Platinum Village Music Publishing.
5. The Clear Vue Eye Center provides several services including ophthalmology and aesthetic services like Botox.