Here is a look back at 12 ASC administrators recognized by Becker's in 2022:
- Martha Otts, administrator of Birmingham (Ala.) Surgery Center. Ms. Otts' ASC was named the best outpatient surgery center in Alabama in 2023 by Newsweek. Ms. Otts shared her secrets to success with Becker's on how leaders can secure a spot on the list for their ASCs.
- Jessica Rodriguez, administrator and executive director of OAM Surgery Center at Midtowne in Grand Rapids, Mich. Ms. Rodriguez has held multiple leadership positions in her seven years at the Orthopaedic Associates of Michigan, where she started as a business office manager and senior accountant in 2015.
- Jeany Dunaway, RN, administrator of Effingham (Ill.) Ambulatory Surgery Center. Ms. Dunaway serves on the Illinois Ambulatory Surgery Center Administration board of directors and has shared insight with Becker's on what makes a good administrator great, the growing trend of high-acuity service lines, how to recruit and retain staff and more.
- Deborah Herdman, RN, administrator of Paragon Surgery Center in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands. Ms. Herdman is a frequent contributor to Becker's, having shared insight on how smaller ASCs can compete with larger health systems, upcoming challenges for ASCs and other topics.
- Karen Reiter, RN, administrator of DISC Surgery Center in Newport Beach, Calif. Ms. Reiter has managed DISC Surgery Center for 16 years. Ms. Reiter has shared her expertise with Becker's on issues including ASC best practices, how to keep surgery cost-effective and infection control strategies.
- Amanda Sosnosky, RN, administrator of Orthopedic Surgery Center of Green Bay and Orthopedic Surgery Center of the Fox Valley in Wisconsin. Ms. Sosnosky has shared insight with Becker's on multiple occasions, discussing topics including how to ensure ASC staff satisfaction, maximizing profits and, most recently, what the practices she helps lead have done in the past year to retain staff.
- Stephanie Kirby, BSN, RN, administrator of Restoration Eye Care's Surgery Center at the Forum in Columbia, Mo. Ms. Kirby has served as the administrator of her center for seven years. Before taking on her current role, Ms. Kirby worked as a nurse at multiple medical facilities in Columbia, in departments including surgery, oncology and more.
- Jackie McLaughlin, BSN, RN, administrator of the Northwoods Surgery Center in Woodruff, Wis. Ms. McLaughlin has served as administrator of Northwoods Surgery Center, a multispecialty surgery center in a rural community, for five years. Ms. McLaughlin has shared insight with Becker's on critical issues within ASCs, including a look into her team's accomplishments and how she plans to tackle the healthcare professional staffing shortage.
- Ethan Bing, administrator of Houston-based Medical Colleagues of Texas. Mr. Bing has more than 15 years of industry experience, during which time he has held positions in healthcare operations, finance, IT and human resources. He recently shared insights on cost reduction strategies with Becker's, with tactics including staffing changes and the implementation of telehealth.
- Brenda Carter, administrator of Wilmington (N.C.) SurgCare. Ms. Carter has held various healthcare leadership roles since 2005, including practice manager, administrator and director. Ms. Carter has shared her insights on several aspects of healthcare with Becker's multiple times, including her favorite part of working in an ASC, emerging industry disruptors and her best practices for tackling ASC financial issues.
- Celia Smith, BSN, RN, administrator of Houston Premier Surgery Center. Ms. Smith has more than 20 years of industry experience and has held leadership positions including administrator, director of nursing, CEO and clinical manager. Ms. Smith has shared insight with Becker's several times on industry topics including Texas' ASC market, how the effect of the pandemic on patients' employment is affecting care and strategies to tackle financial challenges.
- Jeffrey Flynn, administrator and COO of New York City-based Gramercy Surgery Center. Mr. Flynn has worked in New York' City's healthcare industry for over 20 years. In 2002, he partnered with Katy Ciang to found Gramercy Surgery, where he has helped the center's network grow to more than 350 physicians. He has shared insight with Becker's on several occasions on topics including industry opportunities, the perks of value-based care and more. Mr. Flynn is also the vice president of the New York Association of Ambulatory Surgery Centers, where he advocates for ASC-friendly policies and boosts the industry's profile with lawmakers.
Note: To nominate someone for Becker's ASC Administrator of the Week, please email Paige Haeffele at email@example.com.