Here are seven key stats on ophthalmologist compensation:
- Ophthalmology is one of the highest-paying physician specialties, with an average hourly pay of $170.18.
- The average annual compensation for ophthalmologists is $417,000.
- Ophthalmologist pay saw a 10 percent increase over 2021.
- One in 5 ophthalmologists said their practice income declined during COVID-19.
- The average incentive bonus for ophthalmologists is $100,000, up from $87,000 in 2021.
- Fifty-four percent of ophthalmologists feel fairly compensated.
- Thirty-one percent of ophthalmologists have extra jobs on the side.