Donald Trump's gastroenterologist Harold Bornstein, MD, recently released a four-paragraph letter, stating, "If elected, Mr. Trump, I can state unequivocally, will be the healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency," according to CNN.
Here are five insights:
1. In an interview with CNN, Dr. Bornstein said he doesn't have any regrets regarding his letter on Mr. Trump's health. Dr. Bornstein's letter stated Mr. Trump's lab results were "astonishingly excellent."
2. Dr. Bornstein told CNN that he had patients to see when he was writing the letter and therefore was pressed for time. CNN asked the physician if he regretted playing a part in the presidential election, to which Dr. Bornstein responded, "No. My patients, I take care of them the right way."
3. Dr. Bornstein has been the source of controversy following the letter's release. He signed the letter as a member of the Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City's gastroenterology section. While affiliated with the hospital, he is not listed as staff.
4. Although he signed the letter as a fellow of the American College of Gastroenterology in December, he has not been a fellow with the professional society since 1995.
5. Since 1980, Dr. Bornstein has been Mr. Trump's personal physician. His father, Jacob Bornstein, MD, has also treated the presidential candidate.
More articles on gastroenterology and endoscopy:
Patient-targeted CRC websites vary in accuracy, readability: 5 study insights
Cost dissuades patients from CRC screening: 5 notes
Florida Hospital Center for Interventional Endoscopy adopts Cellvizio System: 4 notes