University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester's Ana Maldonado-Contreras, MSc, PhD, won the 2016 AGA Research Scholar Award.
Here are five highlights:
1. The AGA Research Foundation presented Dr. Maldonado-Contreras with the award.
2. Dr. Maldonado-Contreras will study gut microbiota's role in inflammatory bowel disease.
3. She will use her previous research, which shows an anti-inflammatory diet enhanced patient outcomes for those with IBD.
4. Dr. Maldonado-Contreras and her team will build on this research, implementing the diet to see if it impacts inflammation in IBD patients.
5. She hopes her study will reveal a greater understanding of IBD's etiology, which will aid treatment protocol development.