MedHQ examined the intergenerational workforce at ASCs in a recent article.
Motivating an intergenerational workforce can be challenging; MedHQ offers the following solutions:
1. ASC leaders should shift management mindset from being a boss to a coach.
2. Diversify training, as Millennials and Gen X prefer online training while Baby Boomers and Veterans prefer classrooms and book learning.
3. Focus on continuous learning and development instead of taking a static approach to job satisfaction.
4. Accommodate different lifestyles. Millennials appreciate flexibility and career growth opportunities, sometimes over financial rewards, so shifting focus from career satisfaction to "whole life" satisfaction can be an effective way to coach.
5. Don't pigeon-hole Millennials as "tech-obsessed" or older workers as "stuck in their ways" and instead create a culture that addresses organizational and personal goals.
6. Provide real-time feedback instead of traditional performance measurement systems and engage in ongoing dialogue about the impact individuals have on the ASC's mission.