Allina Health moves spine procedures to ASCs, and four more key updates on outpatient spine surgery in the last 60 days:
1. One of the first outpatient prone transpsoas procedures in the U.S. was performed by Samuel Joseph, MD, of Joseph Spine Institute in Tampa, Fla.
2. The first endoscopic microdiscectomy procedure at DuPage Medical Group's new ASC in Westmont, Ill., was performed by Ashish Patel, MD.
3. The majority of patients who undergo a minimally invasive lumbar decompression procedure can avoid surgery for at least five years, a Cleveland Clinic study found.
4. Spine surgeon Mark McFarland, DO, was reportedly the first person to perform an outpatient lumbar fusion in the Peninsula region with Medacta's MySpine patient-specific navigation system.
5. Minneapolis-based Allina Health is moving higher-acuity procedures such as spine and orthopedic cases from hospital outpatient departments to newly developed outpatient surgery centers.