Channel Sponsor - Coding/Billing/Collections

Sponsored by National Medical Billing Services | info@nationalASCbilling.com | (636) 273-6711

Tennessee suspect pleads guilty to scam resulting in $1.3M losses for Mountain Empire Surgery Center: 5 things to know

Charles Turner pled guilty to a conspiracy charge related to his involvement in a scam that allegedly cost Johnson City, Tenn.-based Mountain Empire Surgery Center $1.3 million, according to Kingsport Tennessee Times-News.

Here are five things to know:

1. Mr. Turner allegedly worked with Donald Kevin Collins on a scam in which the pair created a fake medical supply company, Turner Distributors.

2. In addition to the company, the pair allegedly submitted false invoices and purchase orders through bank accounts they started at Carter County Bank. Prosecutors say the men fooled the surgery center into paying them $1.3 million-plus for equipment the men never delivered to the ASC in 2009.

3. Mountain Empire Surgery Center's affiliate, United Surgical Partners International, allegedly issued checks to Turner Distributors. Mr. Turner would keep 35 percent of the money while reserving the remaining 65 percent for Mr. Collins.

4. U.S. District Court in Greeneville indicted the men early in 2017 and charged them with conspiracy to commit mail fraud as well as 15 counts of mail fraud.

5. Mr. Turner's hearing is scheduled for Nov. 2 and Mr. Collin is set to appear on trial Jan. 9.

More articles on coding and billing:
Creating a competitive edge at your facility: The patient experience
Sanders critical of proposed Medicare cuts — 5 insights
Blue Cross Blue Shield's MA plans to cover outpatient surgery for South Carolina residents: 4 key notes

© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2017. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.

 

Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months