Henry Schein Medical plans to make "several hundred thousand" COVID-19 tests available to physician offices, hospitals and other healthcare facilities by March 30, according to a March 26 announcement.
Five things to know:
1. The medical supply company developed an antibody rapid blood test called the Standard Q COVID-19 IgM/IgG Rapid Test.
2. The immunochromatography test can deliver results within 15 minutes of being administered via pinprick at the point of care.
3. It is designed to detect specific immunoglobulin M and immunoglobulin G antibodies linked to the 2019 novel coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2.
4. Already working to distribute the tests through multiple U.S. channels, Henry Schein expects to significantly widen availability starting in April.
5. Henry Schein, which serves ASC customers, is making the Standard Q COVID-19 test available under the FDA's emergency guidance.