Poorly managed supply chain operations can negatively affect an ASC's bottom line through a surplus of expired supplies, as well as lost and incorrect orders, according to Medline.
Medline outlined five ways ASCs can manage their supply chain better through automation and other smart inventory management techniques in their Outpatient Outcomes magazine.
1. Accurate invoices. Automating invoices can helps ASCs improve performance and reduce finance errors.
2. Spending management. Through using automated supply chain software, ASCs can measure and track invoices, which may allow them to establish cost-saving initiatives.
3. Decision-making involvement. Successful inventory management falls on the shoulders of everyone involved in ASC operations. Involving physicians and other staff who may choose supplies or schedule cases can streamline the process.
4. Strong collaboration. All steps in the supply chain process should be reviewed, discussed, followed and understood by all ASC team members.
5. Lean on partners. Collaborating with an ASC's current technology partner can help staff determine what resources the facility needs to streamline operations.