Cologuard is the brainchild of David Ahlquist, MD, a non-invasive at-home test for colon cancer, according to a CBS Minnesota report.
Here are five notes:
1. Dr. Ahlquist is a professor of medicine and gastroenterologist at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn.
2. He originated the test, which became a reality after 20 years of research at Mayo Clinic.
3. Cologuard is now FDA-approved and covered by Medicare.
4. According to Dr. Ahlquist, Cologuard has been prescribed 100,000 times and could be an alternative to colonoscopy.
5. However, several hospitals and practices, such as Minneapolis-based Minnesota Gastroenterology, are not yet prescribing the test.