The FDA, CDC and American Society for Microbiology created a set of voluntary, standardized duodenoscope surveillance sampling and culturing protocols.
Here's what you should know.
1. The American Gastroenterological Association encourages its members to review and consider adopting sampling and culturing for reprocessed duodenoscopes.
2. Specifically, the AGA encourages facilities which utilize duodenoscopes to:
- Meticulously follow manufacturer reprocessing instructions
- Take extra steps outlined in the protocols to reduce the risk of infection and increase the safety of these devices
3. The protocols will help facilities monitor the quality of their reprocessing procedures. The protocols are expected to help reduce the risk of device-associated infection.
4. AGA assisted in reviewing the protocols and is delighted to see the new guidance. "We appreciate that the guidance will standardize surveillance efforts and increase the safety of duodenoscopes, as they are critical to our ability to diagnose and treat our GI patients."
To read the protocols in their entirety, click here.