Optum, a UnitedHealthcare affiliate, reported fourth-quarter and 2020 revenue of $35.9 billion and $136.3 billion, respectively, the company announced Jan. 20.
What you should know:
1. Optum grew its quarterly and full year revenue from $29.8 billion and $113 billion, respectively, in 2019.
2. OptumHealth served 98 million patients in 2020, up from 96 million in 2019.
3. Revenue-per-consumer increased 29 percent year over year.
4. UnitedHealthcare laid out its expectations for Optum in 2021, including expanding its ASC line and entering into more value-based care arrangements.
5. Optum's earnings from operations were greater than UnitedHealthcare's in the fourth quarter of 2020. Optum posted $3.1 billion in earnings from operations, compared to UnitedHealthcare's $396 million.
6. UnitedHealthcare's quarterly and full year revenues were $65.5 billion and $257.1 billion, respectively. The company ended the year with net earnings of $15.4 billion.
The company's ful financial results are here.