Poughkeepsie, N.Y.-based Orthopedic Associates of Dutchess County's ASC, The Surgery Center at Orthopedic Associates, introduced outpatient total joint replacements.
Here are five things to know:
1. Built in 2013, the ASC is fully equipped with four operating rooms to accommodate orthopedic procedures.
2. The ASC is constructing an overnight recovery suite patients can utilize if necessary. Orthopedic Associates' recovery suites are expected to open in early 2018.
3. Surgeons use less invasive surgical techniques for outpatient total joint replacements and advanced anesthesia for pain management. Specially designed protocol for post-surgery home health and rehabilitation ensure the procedure is a success.
4. Patients who undergo total joint replacements in an ASC have a lower risk of infection, and typically experience a quicker recovery and lower costs than total joint replacement in the hospital. Studies also show no difference in long-term complication rates between inpatient and outpatient total joint procedures.
5. Orthopedic Associates of Dutchess County also includes OrthoExpress, emergency orthopedic services, and The Spine Institute with fellowship-trained physicians providing surgical and nonsurgical treatment for spine disorders.