Chairman of Orthopedics at Bronx-Lebanon Hospital Center in New York Ira Kirschenbaum, MD, underwent a total knee replacement and used SwiftPath, a program with proprietary total joint replacement protocol and cloud-based patient engagement, during the process.
Here are five things to know:
1. SwiftPath partnered with Surgical Care Affiliates to provide the program on an outpatient basis for affiliated ASCs.
2. Craig McAllister, MD, president and chief medical officer of SwiftPath, performed Dr. Kirschenbaum's knee replacement.
3. SwiftPath develops evidence-based, rapid recovery protocols vetted by expert opinions to enable surgeons to transition total joint replacement patients to the outpatient setting.
4. Dr. Kirschenbaum kept a journal throughout his process with written and video entries that was published on Medscape; the first part has been among the most popular articles over the past several weeks and the second part is forthcoming.
5. Performing cases in the outpatient setting for total joint replacement is an opportunity to improve care and reduce costs.