In the constantly changing healthcare landscape, there is more reason than ever before to develop strong physician leadership.
Here are 10 leadership programs for physicians
1. National Center for Healthcare Leadership (NCHL) is a non-profit group whose goal is to make sure we have effective and accountable leaders for the future of healthcare. They have quickly become an emerging authority in leadership programs that focus on patient centered, efficient and effective care.
2. American Association for Physician Leadership and the AMA offer programs that include in-person, online and interactive episodic events. These programs offer training for both personal and professional development, as well as providing health system knowledge.
3. The Cleveland Clinic’s program is the Samson Global Leadership Program, a two-week course that offers a reality-based, hands-on leadership experience, and the critical framework to effect change immediately in a leader’s organization, as well as tools to manage and execute long-term leadership goals.
4. Duke Regional Hospital believes that a personalized approach to care that not only treats disease, but also optimizes health will save money and lives. Their program is designed to develop a new type of leader for the future of medicine. These leaders, through Duke's training, will have a solid footing in Integrated Healthcare and organizational change.
5. Stanford Healthcare has a program titled “The Innovative Health Care Leader: From Design Thinking to Personal Leadership” is a groundbreaking partnership between the schools of business and medicine. The program focuses on the belief that today's healthcare providers need innovation, leadership and resilience in order to succeed.
6. University of California (San Francisco) provides physician leadership through its Institute for Physician Leadership (IPL). This program gives participants tangible skills to lead, manage change and work with and through others. By participating in this program, physicians will be part of a network that promotes ongoing collaboration.
7. Harvard School of Public Health has developed the International Leadership Development Program for Physicians. The program emphasizes the importance business skills and leadership practices which most physicians rarely receive. Physicians develop practical knowledge about hospital management and operations.
8. University of Missouri — Kansas City (UMKC) runs the Physician Leadership Program (PLP), a partnership between the School of Medicine and the Henry W. Bloch School of Management. The PLP is designed for physicians who are in leadership positions or aspire to be in such positions in healthcare organizations. It will provide the framework for innovation and strategic thinking, as well as financial and business acumen.
9. Northwestern University’s Kellogg’s School of Management offers the Physician CEO Program. This program was developed by SurgiVision Consultants, and is unique in its focus on practice growth. It is explicitly entrepreneurial and focuses on topics relevant to physician leadership, particularly around patient-pay medicine.
10. Penn State Hershey College of Medicine has developed the Penn State Hershey Leadership Academy in collaboration with the Penn State Smeal College of Business and Penn State Executive Programs. The program is intended for faculty, physician leaders and staff who have interest in leadership positions within their institutions. One of the program's goals is to develop healthcare leaders who integrate the missions of education, research, patient care and outreach.