Revenue cycle management is especially complex for surgery centers, which handle special coding regulations and frequently interact with outside parties, according to Medical Healthcare Solutions' Stephen Brighton.
Five tips to maximize billing:
1. Send claims the same day charges are entered. Charges should be entered two to five days after the service is provided.
2. Conduct routine audits to identify weak links and resolve problems. Using an outside coding company can help centers avoid conflicts of interest.
3. Ensure every patient chart includes thorough details, with information on patient identification, insurance verification, insurance authorization, all medical records and any payment agreements.
4. Make daily payment posting a priority.
5. Communicate with patients from the moment they arrive until their very last payment is made and help them understand their financial obligations every step of the way.