Infection prevention in the GI setting has garnered a lot of attention lately due to a number of infectious disease outbreaks linked to duodenoscopes. The Society of Gastroenterology Nurses and Associates has released the "Standard of Infection Prevention in the Gastroenterology Setting" report as a resource for GI providers.
Here are nine infection prevention measures to know from the report.
1. Cleaning, disinfection and sterilization of medical equipment
2. Correct use of personal protective equipment
3. Personal hygiene, including proper hand hygiene
4. Proper engineering controls (e.g. ventilation, room design, water supply)
5. Cleaning and disinfection of environmental surfaces
6. Adequate administrative control and support
7. Training and continuing education
8. Adequate written standardized operating procedures