A Manhattan jury found New York City-based NYU Langone Hospital colorectal surgeon Christian Hirsch, MD, guilty of negligence after a patient died from infection, the New York Post reports.
Here's what you should know:
1. Cheryl Raefski went to NYU Langone in November 2011 to have a polyp on her colon removed. During the operation, Dr. Hirsch burned a portion of Ms. Raefski's small bowel. After the surgery, Ms. Raefski complained about excessive pain, rating it a 10 out of 10 on the pain scale, while she was on painkillers.
2. Dr. Hirsch ordered a CT scan four days later and discovered an infection. As physicians were preparing to treat the infection, Ms. Raefski went into septic shock and died.
3. The jury convicted Dr. Hirsch in under a day. Each of Ms. Raefski's three children were awarded $3 million, while husband Darren Raefski was awarded the remainder.
4. Mr. Raefski brought the suit against Dr. Hirsch in 2012. It was delayed several times before the verdict was read in late November.