Here are 31 gastroenterologists and colorectal surgeons who were featured in the news within the past week.
The American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy honored several gastroenterologists with the ASGE Awards:
• Robert H. Hawes, MD, Florida Hospital Orlando
• Robert A. Ganz, MD, Minnesota Gastroenterology, St. Paul
• Jacques Van Dam, MD, USC Medical Center, Los Angeles
• Karen L. Woods, MD, Methodist Hospital, Houston
• David L. Jaffe, MD, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
• Klaus Mergener, MD, Digestive Health Specialists, Tacoma, Wash.
• Michael L. Kochman, MD, University of Pennsylvania Health System, Philadelphia
• Christopher J. Gostout, MD, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.
• Hironori Yamamoto, MD, Jichi Medical University, Tochigi, Japan
• M. Brian Fennerty, MD, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland
• Jonathan M. Buscaglia, MD, Stony Brook (N.Y.) University Medical Center Endoscopy Unit
• Sachin B. Wani, MD, University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora
• Robin Mendelsohn, MD, Memorial Kettering Cancer Center, New York
• Aziz Aadam, MD, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago
• Vincent Dusabejambo, MD, Kigali University Teaching Hospital, Rwanda
• Salvatore Francesco Vadala di Prampero, MD, University Hospital of Udine, Italy
• Yuichi Mori, MD, Showa University Yokohama Northern Hospital, Japan
• Salvatore Oliva, MD, Sapienza-Univesity of Rome, Italy
• Nikhil Vergis, BMBCH, St. Mary's Hospital, Imperial College, London
• Ananya Das, MD, Arizona Digestive Health PC, Gilbert, Ariz.
• Jennifer H. Lai, MD, California Pacific Medical Center, San Francisco
• Wajeeh Salah, MD, Mayo Clinic, Eau Claire, Wis.
• Shou-Jiang Tang, MD, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson.
• Vinay Dhir, MD, Baldota Institute of Digestive Sciences, India
• Yamile Haito Chavez, MD, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
• Sarah Flores, MD, UC Irvine Medical Center
• Sameer Siddique, MD, University of Missouri, Columbia
The American Gastroenterological Association honored Robert S. Sandler, MD, MPH, with the 2015 Julius Friedenwald Medal.
Richard Peek, MD, director of the Vanderbilt Digestive Disease Research Center in Nashville, was named editor-in-chief of the American Gastroenterological Association's Gastroenterology journal.
The American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy honored two gastroenterologists with the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia at its Crystal Award — David Jaffe, MD, and Michael Kochman, MD.