Nashville, Tenn.-based AmSurg acquired Sheridan Healthcare in May 2014 in a stock and cash transaction valued at nearly $2.35 billion. Since its acquisition of the anesthesia and physician services company, AmSurg has continued to diversify and expand its services into anesthesiology, radiology and emergency medicine.
Here are seven things to know about the ASC company's recent acquisitions.
1. AmSurg acquires Radisphere. AmSurg acquired its first radiology group in January 2015. Sheridan acquired the radiology services business Radisphere, which has offices in Ohio and Connecticut. Radisphere is comprised of more than 100 radiologists. The terms of the transaction were not disclosed.
2. AmSurg continues to expand into radiology. AmSurg acquired its second radiology group, Radiology Associates of Hollywood (Fla.), in March. The radiology group has more than 50 subspecialty trained radiologists who read more than 800,000 studies each year. Robert J. Coward, president of physician services, AmSurg, said in a news release, "Coming on the heels of our acquisition of Radisphere in January, this agreement demonstrates Sheridan's ongoing commitment to building to strong capabilities and presence in the radiology services space."
3. AmSurg expands anesthesiology services. Sheridan acquired Daytona Beach, Fla.-based Halifax Anesthesiology Associates in April. The anesthesiology practice is comprised of eight physicians and 23 certified registered nurse anesthetists. Halifax Anesthesiology Associates provides anesthesia services for Halifax Hospital Medical Center facilities in the Daytona Beach market.
4. AmSurg acquires Coastal Anesthesia Consultant. In July, Sheridan acquired Coastal Anesthesia Consultant, which includes 25 physicians, certified nurse anesthetists and anesthesiologist assistants. Coastal Anesthesia Consultants provides services to Flagler Hospital Facilities in St. Augustine, Fla. The anesthesiology group inpatient and outpatient services and was the exclusive anesthesiology services provider at Flagler Hospital facilities. The partnership expanded Sheridan's anesthesiology services business and strengthened its presence in Florida.
5. AmSurg strengthens its presence in Florida. AmSurg acquired Bay Area Anesthesia in Tampa, Fla., in August. Bay Area Anesthesia has three locations and two ASCs. The anesthesia group's locations are affiliated with BayCare Health System, based in Clear Water, Fla., and AmSurg and Baycare jointly own the ASCs. The financial terms of the transactions were not disclosed.
6. AmSurg acquires Valley Anesthesiology & Pain Consultants. In November, Sheridan acquired Valley Anesthesiology & Pain Consultants in Phoenix, which bolstered its anesthesiology services business. Prior to the acquisition, Valley Anesthesiology & Pain Consultants was one of the largest independent anesthesiology practices in the United States, and provided anesthesiology and pain management services through more than 240 physicians and 38 allied health providers to 21 hospitals.
7. AmSurg acquires Premier Emergency Medical Specialists. Sheridan acquired Premier Emergency Medical Specialists on Dec. 8. The acquisition marks Sheridan's first entry into the emergency medicine specialty in the Phoenix market. PEMS is comprised of 49 physicians who provide emergency services for Chandler Regional Medical Center and Mercy Gilbert Medical Center, both located in Arizona. AmSurg's three specialty practices serve more than 50 Arizona hospitals and ASCs.
More articles on surgery centers:
SCA partners with Surgery Center of Athens: 4 things to know
AmSurg acquires Premier Emergency Medical Specialists — 5 takeaways
Healthcare is barreling toward integration — 5 key thoughts on where ASCs fit