Eighty-five percent of providers cited cost as a drawback to hiring temporary physicians, according to AMN Healthcare's "2022 Survey of Locum Tenens."
AMN Healthcare surveyed 202 healthcare facility executives and managers in February and March about their experiences with temporary staffing over the past year. They were asked to check all responses that applied from a list of eight to the question, "What are the drawbacks to using locum tenens physicians?"
The eight responses and percentage of respondents checking each of them are listed below:
- Cost of locum tenens: 85 percent
- Lack of familiarity with department/practice: 53 percent
- Learning equipment/procedures: 30 percent
- Managing multiple locum tenens staffing providers: 32 percent
- Credentialing issues: 46 percent
- Unable to bill for locum tenens services: 14 percent
- Cancellations: 21 percent
- Other: 7 percent