A new mobile app is allowing family and friends to track a patient's status as they go through surgery, according to a Health Data Management report.
Here are five observations:
1. The app started at Northwest Michigan Surgery Center in Traverse City. It developed from a large screen located outside the center's cafeteria that tracked patients through the various phases of a surgical procedure. When this proved too cumbersome, the mobile app was introduced.
2. The service builds on real-time locating system technology from Versus Technology, as well as the vendor's OR patient flow software.
3. Northwest Michigan Surgery Center has used the vendor's products for five years.
4. The center worked on developing the app along with Traverse City ad agency Flight Path Creative and business consultancy SMB Group in Milwaukee. The app was ready for use last November.
5. The app gives a display with multiple color bars that highlight patient progress during five phases:
- Ready for Family