Houston-based HCA Healthcare's Gulf Coast Division joined Greater Houston Healthconnect, the last major Houston-area health system to do so.
Here's what you should know.
1. Healthconnect is a regional, community health information exchange. The system allows providers to access a patient's health information wherever they need it.
2. The exchange receives information from several different EHR systems, presenting to providers a complete medical picture regardless of the EHR system they use.
3. With HCA Healthcare's Gulf Coast Division joining the network, Healthconnect is now one of the largest HIEs in the U.S.
4. Greater Houston Healthconnect CEO Nick Bovino said, "Our community has spoken. With all health systems and most physicians contracted with Healthconnect, the remaining providers should connect for the benefit of their patients."
5. HCA Healthcare's Gulf Coast Division President Tony Villarreal said, "Participating in Healthconnect will assist HCA in delivering the highest quality care, enhance patient safety, improve efficiencies and ultimately drive overall patient satisfaction."