The former manager of a Williamsburg, Va.-based eye center faces 30 years in prison after charging hundreds of thousands of dollars to the center's credit cards for personal use, according to a WAVY report.
Here are five things to know:
1. The former manager of Collum Eye and Laser Center, Sherea Darnell, made $514,000 in private transactions to credit cards meant for business expenses while she was manager and after her resignation. She resigned in 2016 after nearly four years on the job and moved out of state.
2. In addition to making personal charges, Ms. Darnell also took $90,000 in cash advances from the credit cards.
3. Ms. Darnell used the card to purchase airline tickets, clothing and maid services in addition to paying for her son's preschool tuition. She continued to charge the card after leaving the center before the physicians discovered her fraud.
4. A federal jury convicted Ms. Darnell of fraud and tax charges.
5. The maximum sentence for her crimes is 30 years in prison. Ms. Darnell is scheduled for sentencing in October.