George Winch Jr., MD, filed a lawsuit against Northeastern Nevada Regional Hospital in conjunction with Elko Women's Health Center after Northwestern revoked Dr. Winch's privileges on "false grounds," according to a Lexington Herald Leader report.
Here are five key notes:
1. Dr. Winch, an obstetrician, began performing hysterectomies at Great Basin Surgical Center more than 10 years ago due to lower costs than performing the procedure at hospitals.
2. In 2008, Dr. Winch alleges Northwestern Nevada Regional Hospital personnel began spreading false rumors that damaged his reputation. The hospital CEO hired a lawyer to investigate "inappropriate behavior" complaints in 2013.
3. Dr. Winch was not given an opportunity to review the allegations or defend himself, according to the report, and an appeal board recommended his license be revoked.
4. After his privileges were revoked at Northwestern Nevada Regional Hospital, Dr. Winch continued to perform surgery at Great Basin Surgical Center. However, the hospital acquired the center in July 2015.
5. Since the surgical center was purchased, Dr. Winch has been unable to perform surgeries there.