Pranav Patel, MD, of Burr Ridge, Ill., was indicted by the North District of Illinois' U.S. Attorney's Office after he allegedly submitted fraudulent health insurance claims totaling at least $950,000, the Chicago Sun Times reports.
Here's what you should know.
1. Dr. Patel allegedly submitted false insurance claims while he owned and operated Palos Heights, Ill.-based Palos Medical Care from 2008 to 2013.
2. To submit the claims, he allegedly used patients' names without their knowledge to obtain at least $950,000 from Medicare and Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois.
3. Dr. Patel allegedly billed for, but never performed, non-invasive "duplex scans."
4. The U.S. Attorney's Office highlighted an instance when Dr. Patel allegedly created a seven-page medical record for a patient. Although the patient had visited the clinic, it was only for a prescription refill.
5. He faces seven counts of healthcare fraud, three counts of making false statements and two count of aggravated identity theft. He faces up to 89 years in prison if convicted.