Accreditation surveys can happen at any time, meaning an ASC must be prepared to meet requirements, according to Pinnacle III, an ASC management group.
Here are the insights they shared:
1. Prep staff. Quiz staff on questions surveyors may ask during a survey. If a staff member doesn't know an answer, let them know it's acceptable to say they don't know, but they know where to find the answer.
2. Be prepared for an emergency. Make sure an ASC has completed emergency and fire drills, along with the required documentation.
3. Check employee records. Ensure current employees' documentation is up to date, including training records, performance evaluations, credentialing documents and competency assessments.
4. Review policy and procedures. Update, review and enforce the ASC's written procedures, and if the center has created new polices, make sure they've been documented in writing.
5. Focus on infection control. Check that staff is following the proper infection control procedures.