21 Surgery Centers Opened, Acquired or Planned in September 2012
Here are 21 surgery centers opened, acquired or planned in September 2012.
1. SCA's Surgery Center of Santa Monica & Sovereign Healthcare's Surgery Center of the Pacific in California. Surgery Center of the Pacific and Surgery Center of Santa Monica have executed a letter of intent to combine operations and will provide outpatient surgical care from one location, under the Surgery of the Pacific name, by late 2012. Surgery Center of the Pacific is currently an affiliate of Sovereign Healthcare and is owned in partnership with approximately 20 physicians. Surgery Center of Santa Monica is currently an affiliate of Surgical Care Affiliates and is owned in partnership with more than a dozen physicians.
2. California's Santa Rosa Surgery Center. Sutter Medical Center will move 50 or so staff and physicians from Santa Rosa Surgery Center from their existing location to an 80,000-square-foot medical office building. Sutter Medical Center of Santa Rose has secured two anchor tenants for the building: Santa Rosa Surgery Center and the Sutter Pacific Medical Foundation. They will account for 58 percent of the building upon completion in 2014.
Physicians with Santa Rosa Surgery Center have a joint venture agreement with Sutter but are not part of the Sutter Pacific Medical Foundation.
3. Montana's Billings VA Clinic's surgery center. Billings (Mont.) VA Clinic has announced a new facility that will provide outpatient surgery and specialty services to an estimated 21,000 veterans. In addition to a same-day surgery center, the expanded clinic will offer new services in audiology, physical occupational therapy, dental care and magnetic resonance imaging. Additional space will be added for existing primary care services.
4. New York's Rochester General Health System's surgery center. Rochester General Health System plans to develop an ambulatory surgery center, relocating a same-day surgery practice it purchased earlier and ambulatory surgery facilities from Rochester General Hospital. The new surgery center would be a 29,000-square-foot addition.
5. Arkansas' Tri State Advanced Surgery Center. The Tri State Advanced Surgery Center in Marion, Ark., will open its doors this week. The new outpatient surgery center is co-owned by 15 specialty physicians, in a variety of specialties ranging from orthopedics to neurosurgery. "The physicians involved in this center are thrilled to have the opportunity," said Jeff Cole, the center's medical director. "Because the center is physician-owned and operated, we can do things our own way."
6. Pensylvania's Mount Nittany Medical Center's surgery center. Mount Nittany Medical Center in State College, Pa., is planning a new 60,000-square-foot surgery center that will add five new operating rooms to the main medical campus. Mount Nittany has seen a steady growth in outpatient surgical cases. The hospital will spend $36 million on construction and new hospital equipment. Officials say the county-backed bond issue will allow for the expansion of medical facilities needed by the region's growing elderly population.
7. New York's Vassar Brothers Medical Center's surgery center. Vassar Brothers Medical Center dedicated its new ambulatory surgery center, the Daniel Z. Aronzon, MD Center for Ambulatory Surgery. The surgery center is located in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., according to the report.
8. North Dakota's Mercy Medical Center's surgery center. Williston, N.D.-based Mercy Medical Center recently opened an outpatient surgery center on its hospital campus. The 40,000-square-foot Mercy addition features three operating rooms with room to add a fourth. It will also house an outpatient birthing facility with suites equipped with tubs, fireplaces and sleeper sofas. The new facility will also be a recruiting and retention tool for employees, said Mercy CEO Matthew Grimshaw.
9. Maryland's Endoscopy Center of Robinswood. Physicians Endoscopy has announced the acquisition of a minority interest in the Endoscopy Center of Robinswood in Hagerstown, Md. The single-specialty ambulatory surgery center operates within 5,900 squre fett of the Robinwood Medical Center, on the campus of Meritus Hospital. ECR provides outpatient endoscopic procedures specific to gastroenterology. The four-room endoscopy center is positioned adjacent to Digestive Disorders Consultants, a five-physician practice, and Gastroenterology Associates, a three-physician practice.
10. New Jersey's Centennial Surgery Center. The Lourdes Health System, which owns the Lourdes Medical Center of Burlington County in Willingboro, N.J., has announced a joint venture partnership with Centennial Surgery Center in Vorhees, N.J. The partnership will enable the health system to meet the demand for outpatient surgery among its expanding patient base. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
11. St. Louis Women's Surgery Center. A group of physicians has sold majority ownership of the St. Louis Women's Surgery Center in Ballwin, Mo., to Symbion Healthcare for $7.6 million in an effort to grow the number of physicians and breadth of services offered. Michele Woodley, MD, one of the surgery center partners and a gastroenterology specialist, confirmed the new deal and said Symbion will now own 60 percent of the center. Symbion executives also discussed the acquisition in a second-quarter earnings call.
12. Marymount Ambulatory Surgery Center in Ohio. Cleveland Clinic in Ohio has purchased the Marymount Ambulatory Surgery Center in Garfield Heights, Ohio. The Clinic, whose operating rooms and offices fill the 50,000-square-foot outpatient building, acquired the company and assumed a mortgage. The deal totaled $10.9 million and closed Aug. 29. Peter Volas, senior director of real estate for the hospital system, said the Clinic does not plan to make significant changes to the facility. The Clinic has been a tenant in the building since 1997 and had an option to purchase the property within its lease.
13. Tallahassee Memorial Healthcare's surgery center. Tallahassee Memorial Healthcare and a consortium of 30 physicians have formed joint venture partnership to develop a multispecialty ASC. The facility is affiliated with BBL Medical Facilities. The 17,085-square-foot surgery center consists of five operating rooms and centralized nurse stations. The surgery center includes otolaryngology, general surgery, obstetrics, ophthalmology and orthopedic surgeons.
14. Ohio's The Urology Group's surgery center. The Urology Group has opened a new $20 million headquarters, including a surgery center, in Norwood, Ohio. The facility consists of 55,000 square feet, including an outpatient surgery center. The new, three-story headquarters includes more than $3 million in diagnostic and surgical equipment for the treatment of kidney stones. The Urology Group includes 35 physicians who perform more than 14,000 surgeries per year.
15. Florida's Newsom Eye Surgery Center. Construction plans for the Newsom Eye Surgery Center in Sebring, Fla., have moved forward following council approval of annexation. Council members unanimously approved the proposal for annexation of the three-story building. The grant approval will provide approximately 80 jobs, according to the report.
16. Tennessee's Maury Regional Medical Center's surgery center. Maury Regional Medical Center's $7.9 million surgery center in Spring Hill, Tenn., will be complete in early November, according to a Tennessean report. The 62,365-square-foot facility will include a pediatric clinic, specialty clinic, physical therapy and radiation oncology and will be built in cooperation with Vanderbilt Operative Services. Outpatient surgery center services are expected to include orthopedic, gynecological, urologic and ENT procedures.
17. Michigan's Beaumont Health System's surgery center. Beaumont Health System in Royal Oak, Mich., has expanded its services with a center for minimally invasive gynecologic surgery. The center offers minimally invasive surgical options for women with gynecologic conditions, including uterine fibroids or tumors, ovarian cysts, heavy menstrual bleeding, pelvic pain, urinary incontinence and pelvic floor relaxation.
18. Omaha's Methodist Hospital's surgery center. Omaha's Methodist Hospital has announced plans for a $75 million surgery center. The construction project, which will begin early next year, is the latest upgrade of surgical space among area hospitals. Nebraska Medical Center and several hospitals in the Alegent Creighton Health system have undergone operating room renovations over the past several years.
19. Houston's AOK Spine and Pain Surgery Center. AOK Spine and Pain surgery center officially opened in August 2012 in Houston, Texas. AOK Spine and Pain, which is a spinal surgery center and pain management center, is the newest facility to be added to the AOK Medical Center. With the opening of the center, AOK Medical Center will now be able to offer pain management, spine surgery, endoscopic carpal tunnel treatment, Tarsal Tunnel treatment and Baxter's Nerve entrapment.
20. Chicago's Hart Road Pain and Spine Institute. Hart Road Pain and Spine Institute has been approved by the Illinois Department of Public Health to open in Barrington, Ill., and see its first patient Oct. 2, 2012, according to a release. The Hart Road Pain and Spine Institute will provide interventional pain management services for physicians practicing at the Illinois Pain Institute, the largest interventional pain management practice in the Chicagoland area, as well as other physicians.
21. Illinois' Elgin Gastroenterology Endoscopy Center. Physicians Endoscopy, a leading GI ASC development and management company, recently announced the acquisition of a minority interest in the Elgin (Ill.) Gastroenterology Endoscopy Center. EGEC is a joint venture partnership between six gastroenterologists and Physicians Endoscopy, which will provide administrative services to the facility. EGEC is a single-specialty ASC treating gastrointestinal disorders. The two-room endoscopy center is located next to the physicians' practice, Illinois Gastroenterology Group-Elgin. The center is staffed with nine board-certified gastroenterologists who are part of Illinois Gastroenterology Group, including Gregory Gambla, DO, Sonia Godambe, MD, Suni Joseph, MD, Lawrence Kosinski, MD, William Levis, MD, Joseph Losurdo, MD, Rejesh Pillai, MD, James Stinneford, MD, medical director, and Wei Sun, MD.
Related Articles on Transactions & Valuation:
AOK Spine and Pain Surgery Center Opens in Houston
Omaha's Methodist Hospital Plans $75M Surgery Center
Wexner Medical Center in Ohio Plans Outpatient Facility
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
- 8 Emerging Business Issues in Spine Surgery
- Rezin Orthopedics and Sports Medicine Adds Dr. Mir Ali to Medical Staff
- Using Clinical Outcomes to Drive Pain Management Profits
- 5 Ways Spine Cases Can Improve Profitability in Poorly Performing Surgery Centers
- Greenwich Hospital Names Dr. Steven Hindman Director of Orthopedic Surgery