Patient Safety Tools: HCAHPS Mail and Telephone Patient Surveys
The Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS) survey is the first national, standardized, publicly reported (on the Hospital Compare website at www.hospitalcompare.hhs.gov) survey of patients' perspectives of hospital care.
The HCAHPS survey asks discharged patients 27 questions about their recent hospital stay. The survey contains 18 core questions about critical aspects of patients' hospital experiences. The survey also includes four items to direct patients to relevant questions, three items to adjust for the mix of patients across hospitals and two items that support Congressionally-mandated reports.
The survey from HCAHPS is available in two formats: letter for mailing and telephone script. Download the survey letter (pdf) and telephone script (pdf), and if you do not participate in HCAHPS, adapt them for use in your facility.
Source: http://www.hcahpsonline.org. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, Baltimore, MD. June 23, 2011.
More Articles Featuring Patient Tools:
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
- CDC pleads Congress to approve Zika funding quickly — 6 observations
- Will the bronze plan disappear soon? 4 takeaways
- WHO reports nearly 600 healthcare attacks in 19 countries — 6 things to know
- Is the VA lacking resources or funding less critical areas? 6 insights
- Dr. Kenneth Chang performs 1st TIF procedure using new EsophyX Z device: 6 things to know