The views expressed in articles on this channel do not necessarily reflect the views of AAAHC.
Patient Safety Tool: SCIP 'Stop Antibiotics' Poster
"Stop antibiotics within 24 hours after surgery" warns a free Surgical Care Improvement Project poster developed by Delmarva Foundation and adapted and assembled by the Information & Quality Healthcare not-for-profit corporation under contract with CMS.
The reason to do such, as the poster states, is that prolonged administration does increase the risk of c. difficile infection and the development of antimicrobial resistant pathogens. In addition, taking preventive antibiotics for more than 24 hours after routine surgery is usually not necessary.
The poster also provides contact information for a SCIP project leader at IQH.
Download the IQH's stop antibiotics poster (PDF) and use it to help educate your staff members and patients about antibiotic usage after surgery.
More Patient Safety Tools:
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
- The Future of ACOs for Anesthesiologists
- Healthcare Exchange Traded Funds See Biggest Boom in Years
- FDA Issues Draft Guidance on Off-Label Use Information Dissemination
- Surgical Care Affiliates President & CEO Andrew Hayek Among 2014 Aspen Institute Henry Crown Fellows
- A Look at ASC Valuation Through the Eyes of M&D Companies