Patient Safety Tool: SCIP 'Stop Antibiotics' Poster
"Stop antibiotics within 24 hours after surgery" warns a free Surgical Care Improvement Project poster developed by Delmarva Foundation and adapted and assembled by the Information & Quality Healthcare not-for-profit corporation under contract with CMS.
The reason to do such, as the poster states, is that prolonged administration does increase the risk of c. difficile infection and the development of antimicrobial resistant pathogens. In addition, taking preventive antibiotics for more than 24 hours after routine surgery is usually not necessary.
The poster also provides contact information for a SCIP project leader at IQH.
Download the IQH's stop antibiotics poster (PDF) and use it to help educate your staff members and patients about antibiotic usage after surgery.
More Patient Safety Tools:
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
- Current Issues in Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
- 5 Ideas on More Productive ASC Board Meetings
- 7 Things for ASC Leaders to Know for Thursday
- 4 Leadership Lessons From One of Healthcare's Most Powerful Women
- Dr. Frank Gerratana Wins 2013 Orthopaedist of the Year Award by The Connecticut Orthopaedic Society