Hoag Hospital Newport Beach (Calif.) performed its 10,000th robotic surgery using the da Vinci system.
Here's what you should know.
1. Gynecologic oncologist Lisa Abaid, MD, performed the milestone surgery removing a benign cyst.
2. Hoag began performing robotic surgeries in 2004. In total, Hoag has 42 surgeons and 80-plus nurses and surgical technicians in its robotic surgery program. The program encompasses 10 surgical specialties.
3. Hoag has six surgical robots between its two hospital campuses in Newport Beach and Irvine, Calif.
4. When combining totals from the two campuses, Hoag has performed more than 11,211 robotic surgeries to date.
5. Hoag's Gynecologic Robotics Program Medical Director John Brown, MD, said, "Reaching the 10,000th mark in Newport Beach is in and of itself not what we’re celebrating. We’re celebrating the achievements in minimally invasive, robotic-assisted surgery that has given new options to patients who would not otherwise be able to withstand lifesaving procedures."