Eric Neff, MD, of Virginia Beach, Va.-based Atlantic Orthopedic Specialists, completed the first total knee replacement procedure at Surgery Center of Chesapeake (Va.).
Here's what you should know:
1. The procedure was the first TKR at a freestanding ASC in Virginia's South Hampton Roads region.
2. Dr. Neff was assisted by Timothy Shipe, MD, who delivered multimodal pain management.
3. The 63-year-old patient was recovering in his own home later that afternoon.
4. Before the procedure, surgeons created a customized implant using the Sigma Knee System and DePuy Synthes' TruMatch Personalized Solutions. The procedure lasted just over an hour.
5. Center CEO Julie Camardella said, "Patients are chosen for a procedure like this only after meeting several criteria. They need to have good overall health, a desire to recover at home, the ability to withstand some discomfort, and support at home from someone who can help care for them as they recover."
6. Following success of the first procedure, Dr. Neff has several others scheduled at the center.