Healthcare Executive Group outlined the top challenges, opportunities and issues healthcare executives will face this year.
Ten things to know:
1. Analyzing data. Using clinical data in decisions concerning payers, providers and individuals is a top opportunity for 2019.
2. Total consumer health. This involves caring for the patient as a whole, including their medical, financial and social health.
3. Population health services. Operationalizing community-based health strategy, pushing forward clinical integration and acknowledging health barriers like social determinants are all issues healthcare executive expect to face this year.
4. Value-based care. The transition to value-based care will impact healthcare executives' decision-making in 2019.
5. The transition to digital healthcare. Wearables, patient portals and digital payments are opportunities for healthcare executives.
6. Increasing pharmacy costs. Healthcare executives will need to put strategies in place this year to address rising pharmacy costs.
7. Market disruption. Amazon, Apple, Google and Walmart have the power to disrupt the healthcare industry.
8. Slimming down operations. Automation, lean quality programs and making processes more efficient are just some of the ways healthcare executives are looking to make operations more effective in 2019.
9. Opioids. Managing opioids and supporting those with addictions is challenge many health systems are facing.
10. Cybersecurity. Healthcare data breaches are a top challenge for healthcare executives in 2019.