Shoukath Ansari, MD, is a gastroenterologist and the medical director of Hamlet, N.C.-based Sandhills Endoscopy Center, an actor and the father of comedian Aziz Ansari.
Here are six things to know about Dr. Ansari.
1. Dr. Ansari has a regular role on Mr. Ansari's Netflix program "Master of None." Dr. Ansari is the father of Mr. Ansari's character, Dev.
2. He earned his medical degree from Tirunelveli Medical College in India. He completed an internship at SUNY Health Science Center in New York City and several residencies at Trenton, N.J.-based St. Francis Medical Center; Trenton, N.J.-based Capital Health Medical Center; Columbia-based University of South Carolina School of Medicine; Columbia, S.C.-based Richland Memorial Hospital; and at Columbia, S.C.-based William Jennings Bryan Dorn Veterans Hospital.
3. Dr. Ansari completed his fellowship at the University of South Carolina.
4. He has been the medical director of the Sandhills Endoscopy center for 32 years.
5. Richmond Memorial Hospital recognized Dr. Ansari as its physician of the year in 2017, the Richmond County Daily Journal reports.
6. Mr. Ansari said in an interview on KRCC that Dr. Ansari told him, "The reason I'm acting in the show and doing all of this is just to spend more time with you and to see you."