Here are five things to know about physician burnout in gastroenterology, according to a Medscape report.
1. Forty-nine percent of gastroenterologists feel they are burned out.
2. On a scale of one to seven, gastroenterologists rated the severity of their burnout as 4.3.
3. Seventy-nine percent of female gastroenterologists expressed burnout, compared to 44 percent of their male peers.
4. The top three causes for gastroenterologist burnout are too many bureaucratic tasks, spending too many hours at work and theincreasing computerization of practice.
5. Both male and female gastroenterologists report about the same happiness levels at home with 54 percent and 58 percent respectively, but 32 percent of men are content at work compared to 18 percent of women.