Rochester, Minn.-based Mayo Clinic named gastroenterologist Gianrico Farrugia its new president and CEO, effective at the end of the year.
Here's what you should know:
1. Dr. Farrugia currently serves as Mayo Clinic's vice president and as CEO of Mayo Clinic’s Florida campus.
2. Dr. Farrugia and current Mayo Clinic President and CEO John Noseworthy, MD, will work together as Dr. Noseworthy readies to retire. Dr. Noseworthy will remain in the positions until year-end.
3. Mayo Clinic Board of Trustees Chair Samuel Di Piazza said, "We are deeply grateful for Dr. Noseworthy’s outstanding patient-centered leadership and inspiration he provided over the past nine years. Mayo Clinic has had a tremendous track record under his leadership amidst unprecedented change in healthcare and is well-positioned for continued success as we make this transition."
4. Dr. Farrugia notably led Mayo Clinic's Center for Individualized Medicine and co-founded the Center for Innovation at Mayo Clinic.
5. Dr. Farrugia is a longtime Mayo Clinic gastroenterologist.