The Health Industry Distributors Association published a report analyzing the industrywide shift of surgical procedures to outpatient settings.
1. The five largest players in the ASC industry hold less than 20 percent of the market share.
2. Independent physician groups own about 70 percent of ASCs.
3. There are more than 6,100 ASCs in the U.S., including 5,519 Medicare-certified ones as of 2016.
4. The number of outpatient surgeries performed in an ASC increased from 32 percent in 2005 to more than 50 percent in 2017.
5. CMS' inpatient-only list includes about 1,700 procedures. Six procedures were removed in 2018.