Providence, R.I-based Prospect CharterCare purchased Johnston, R.I.-based Blackstone Valley Surgicare, Rhode Island's largest freestanding ASC, according to Providence Journal.
Here are five things to know:
1. The deal totaled $1.5 million.
2. The state department of health approved the acquisition in April.
3. The United Nurses and Allied Professionals, a union representing nurses and other hospital employees in Rhode Island, opposed the deal. The union said Prospect CharterCare failed to give information showing Prospect's parent, Los Angeles-based Prospect Medical Holdings' had a good financial standing.
4. The surgery center employs more than 50 people.
5. In 2016, Blackstone Valley Surgicare performed more than 4,200 procedures.